Saturday, January 15, 2011

Wikis

I have to say that I am quite annoyed with Wetpaint subscription process. I find it hard to believe that four user names that I wanted are not available, had to go with the fifth one. And what's with the date of birth? How is that relevant to Wiki business? And how can they tell I haven't made it up? (Made myself a bit older, of course!) 
I like Wiki idea, particularly St. Joseph County Public Library's Subject Guides. Very comprehensive and very useful - in my opinion. 
I've also liked Christchurch City Libraries Wiki - post on foreign movies with subtitles. That issue divides people although I am not sure why. When I watch a movie in my mother tongue I always read English subtitles. I understand spoken language but my eye is automatically drawn to the subtitle. Probably because I grew up watching movies with subtitle. Would it be easier if English spelling was more phonetical?

1 comment:

Tirnanog said...

Interesting comments and I have to agree about the date of birth thing. I did wonder just how relevant it was to have all of the information they were looking for. And I don't consider myself to have an issue about age! Agree liked sthe St Joseph's wiki but definitely not the Games and Public Libraries one because it was aesthetically unpleasant and therefore I couldn't get to the content.