Sunday, January 16, 2011

Facebook and Twitter

At last something that I actually use. Facebook. All my friends and family live in a galaxy far, far away and I use Facebook to stay in touch with them. Easy to use, easy to publish posts from other sites. Good way to communicate/interact with our customers as it is very common and most people are familiar with it. Still awaiting friend confirmation from Midland Swan. 
Today I've subscribed to Twiter. Time to start using short words as number of characters is limited! Interesting for short messages but not good for people not familiar with texting vocabulary. I can see that it could be good for promoting new materials in library, especially with those who receive their Twitter messages (posts?) on mobile phone. We could tweet that such-and-such book is now available, or that some famous person will be in our library sometime in the future. Or that library will be closed or open during holidays. Or that two windows have been broken and we would like to know if anybody saw anything. 

I am not sure if I like it or not as a tool for publishing my private thoughts. I have to admit that I feel less negative about it than before but still am not convinced. Who knows, maybe in five days I’ll become the most devoted Twitter follower!

3 comments:

dana said...

Funny how most people have used Facebook but not Twitter. It's a bit strange getting the hang of Tweeting since I am not one for posting status updates on Facebook.

ruralreader said...

The whole Facebook and Twitter thingy is new to me, but i like Twitter as its quicker due to the limit of characters you can write.

Library Ninja Down Under said...

Library Ninja also uses Facebook mainly to keep in touch with friends and family overseas. It's a great way to share photo albums.